Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A tale of two snakes

The house in which we are staying has a nice garden attached to it. Plenty of plantations are there as my uncle is fond of gardening. It has banana ,mango ,nellikai, Guava and all sorts of trees.

One day as we were watching ,after our afternoon tea and snacks ,the lady who does some gardening in the house,announced that there was a snake in the garden We came out and I was thrilled to see a huge 10 ft snake slowly moving in the garden. As I came out with my camera it started moving into the stone wall and just had its head out. I was waiting for it to come out. Uma was upstairs in the balcony, giving me the running commentary from top.

As we were watching, I could make out another snake very close to the snake No 1 and then I could see that they were attracting each other for mating. This was a sight I am sure worth waiting and I was able to capture some as photographs.

Both suddenly stood as tall as 2 feet facing each other before cuddling . After about half an hour they started playing with each other, one following the other ,one of them around 10 ft and the other 8 ft, one being fat and the other slim. After about ten minutes both went away one following the other.

Next day as we were again watching in the morning we saw both of them back in their earlier place playing with each other. What a sight . I took enough photos. This time the thin fellow went through a small opening in the compound wall outside and the fat one was not able to slide through this opening and hence it stayed back. After some time this snake went out through the opening from where it came.
Next day at around 3 o cklock again the fatso was back at its original position and it was looking for its mate all over the garden . After about one hour the it went back the same way disappointed and after that we havenot seen either of them .
From that day onwards we never saw any of these snakes as of today

It was fun to study the way these react with the company of each other. check out the pics here :-

http://picasaweb.google.co.in/appa.ananths/ATaleOfTwoSnakes#
bye for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment